We have a super simple GREEK CHICKEN MARINADE recipe for you, and we can promise you that it will become your family’s go-to marinade starting today. It is a recipe that will result in a chicken that is incredibly tender and is rooted in a punchy flavor. This marinated chicken is perfect with accompaniments such as salads, gyros, sandwiches, and even rice. What’s more? To create this recipe, one requires just a few ingredients that most of us already have in our kitchens.
This Greek BBQ chicken marinade recipe is better than anything else that you may find on the internet, purely because it is very easy to make. In fact, you can make the whole recipe using just one hand.
Let me confess right away and tell you that I will not be introducing you to some magical ingredient that will alter your marinade game. You just need a few basic ingredients that are also healthy, so you do not have to sit in guilt after your meal. I will not push you to run to a specialty ingredient or order groceries online either.
After trying out this marinade, you will definitely incorporate it into your meals each week. And it also appeases the pickiest eaters. Yes, your children too!
While I will be teaching you how you can marinate your chicken with this recipe, it works well with pork, lamb, and beef, as well.
Greek Chicken Marinade Ingredients
Here is the full truth. I do not like anything grilled with BBQ sauce. It is just too mundane for my taste buds. I’m definitely not a picky eater, but I do enjoy experimenting with dishes. In case you are someone like me looking for a fresh take on dishes, this lemony marinade seasoned with herbs is all you will dream of throughout the summer.
Olive Oil – Our marinade’s base will be the super popular olive oil. While this was determined after understanding its health implications, the truth is that it really adds to the chicken’s flavor.
Garlic – This is an ingredient that you do not want to skip. In fact, it is often the secret ingredient in Greek cuisine. In our recipe, the garlic helps in balancing the flavors of the herbs.
Lemon Juice – There are two advantages of adding lemon juice. First, its tangy flavor will make the marinade particularly flavorful. Moreover, since it is highly acidic in nature, it will help break down the chicken’s tough fibers and ensuring that the flavor of the marinade is completely infused.
Herbs – (Fresh Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, Parsley, Marjoram) Barring Marjoram, every other ingredient is mandatory. Marjoram is often used as it incorporates sweetness along with citrusy flavors, and a few Middle Eastern countries refer to it as oregano. While I used fresh herbs, you can opt for dried ones, as well. However, add only half of what is instructed in the recipe.
Nutmeg – This Greek chicken marinade will be incomplete without adding nutmeg as it will offer warmth and woodiness to make it more aromatic.
Salt and Pepper – Do not put in too much salt in the marinade as it will drive your taste buds away from the amazing mix of flavors that the other ingredients offer.
How Long Your Chicken Should Be Marinated For?
Personally, I tried out this Greek chicken marinade recipe several times, and each time, I used different marinating hours. The fact is that all of them came out just fine. But if I have enough time, I typically let the chicken marinate for a minimum of one hour or let it remain overnight. However, if you have just 20 minutes to complete the dish, that will work too.
Note: Only reuse a chicken marinade after boiling it first.
How Should Greek Marinated Chicken Be Served?
You can serve this marinated chicken in so many ways. Check out the options below to find a few simple ideas and several over-the-top options.
- Serve it over some scrumptious pasta salads.
- Use it inside wraps. In fact, we will provide a CHICKEN GYROS recipe soon.
- Just this chicken, served with plain warm rice, is a pretty great option too.
- If you are carbs-conscious, you can serve this grilled chicken with some yummy Greek SALAD.
How To Grill Greek Marinated Chicken
Take a medium bowl and in it, mix some olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley, Marjoram, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Then, put your juicy chicken in the marinade, and allow it to be thoroughly layered with the herb mixture. Use plastic wrap to seal the bowl, or you can even use a Ziplock bag over it before refrigerating it for anywhere between an hour and overnight. Use a tong to remove the chicken from the marinade and get rid of the excess. The grill must be preheated to medium-high heat. Then, put the chicken on the grill and allow it to grill for about 5 minutes on each side. You should be able to see some nice charring. You must turn the chicken around periodically for even cooking.
If you want to check whether it is done, use an instant-read thermometer inside the chicken. The ideal temperature is 160 degrees F. It is also okay to make a small cut in the center to check if the area is opaque. Then, remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. You can serve the chicken right away.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes..
- Balsamic Brown Sugar Grilled Chicken
- Spicy Teriyaki Chicken
- Lemon Dijon Garlic Grilled Chicken
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Lime Grilled Chicken
Greek Chicken Marinade Recipe
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- ½ tbsp marjoram (optional)
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Take a medium bowl and mix olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley, Marjoram, nutmeg, salt, and pepper thoroughly.
- Put the chicken in the marinade, and use the herb mixture to layer it.
- Use plastic wrap to seal the bowl or position a Ziplock bag over it and allow it to refrigerate for at least an hour. If you can let it remain inside overnight, that’s even better.
- Remove chicken from the sauce using a tong and eliminate the excess marinade.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Allow the chicken to rest on the grill, and each side must be grilled for about 5 minutes till you see some nice charring. Periodically, you may need to turn the chicken to the other side for thorough cooking. To check if it is done, an instant-read thermometer can be placed inside. Ideally, it must read 160 degrees F.
- You can also make a small cut in the center and see if it is adequately opaque.The chicken can then be removed from the grill.Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.