The savory bread pudding is cheesy and creamy and bursting with flavors of lemon and artichokes. This is not a sweet bread pudding that you are used to eating, but a savory kind of bread pudding that not only looks tempting, but also is very delicious.
This Savory Bread Pudding with Lemon and Artichokes is a wonderfully moist and flavorful dish that makes a great side or main course. It is perfect for a spring brunch or Easter dinner. The artichokes add a lovely flavor and texture to the dish, while the lemon brightens it up.
What is savory pudding?
Savory pudding is simply a bread pudding that is made with savory ingredients, rather than sweet. It is commonly made with a variety of different meats, vegetables and cheeses. This Savory Bread Pudding with Lemon and Artichokes features a combination of artichokes, lemon and Gruyere cheese.
What kind of bread should I use for savory bread pudding?
A good rule of thumb is to use a hearty bread that will hold up well when soaked in the custard mixture. You will want to avoid using a very soft bread, such as a white sandwich bread, as it will fall apart when soaked.
Can I make savory bread pudding ahead of time?
Yes, this Savory Bread Pudding can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve. Simply prepare the dish then cover and refrigerate. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature, then bake as directed.
Savory Bread Pudding With Lemon And Artichokes Recipe
- 1 lb Italian bread loaf cubed
- 8 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup Gruyere cheese
- 3 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1 14oz canned artichoke hearts coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
- Take a large bowl and whisk in eggs, yogurt, milk, cream, basil, garlic and salt. Add in the bread cubes, 2/3 cups of Parmesan cheese and 2/3 cup Gruyere cheese and lemon extract. Stir in the chopped artichokes
- Pour into a buttered 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set in the center. Serve hot
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired