I love the beef stew my granny used to make while we were on holidays as kids. According to us children, her beef stew was the best in the world. Grandmothers cooking and moms cooking are the best for most people and they long to have their favorite dishes while on holidays with their family. Beef stew was my favorite and my granny used to make it with chunks of meat, few vegetables especially the root vegetables, few herbs and garlic. With just very few ingredients the beef stew used to taste fabulous. This beef stew has stayed in my memory for the longest and I still try to make this for my kids on weekends, though it doesn’t match with my granny’s beef stew recipe.
If you love cooking stews and soups in a Crockpot, then you know how easy it is to prepare them at home for dinners or at a party. Beef stew is a perfect dish to have on a chilly winter day as it is warm, rich and healthy too if you carefully choose the right ingredients. A hearty beef stew is very easy to cook and it is made from all fresh ingredients. The prep time is also less than 10 minutes. If you are trying to lose weight like me and do not want to miss on to your favorite beef stew recipe, then go for the weight watchers slow cooker beef stew that is healthy and tastes delicious too. The best part of this weight watchers stew is that there is nothing artificial going into making this beef stew recipe. All the ingredients are preservative and additive free and it is plain simple beef stew with fresh and real ingredients. You can be assured of a healthy meal and will be pleased to feed your loved ones a hearty meal that is rich in nutrients and less in calories.
Weight watchers beef stew is cooked in a Crockpot that ensures the beef stew is made easily without getting burnt at the bottom of the pot. The other benefit of a Crockpot is that the meat gets cooked tender and the beef stew tastes just great. Chop everything and put it in the Crockpot the night before and then in the morning put the pot on the Crockpot base and turn it on. The beef stew is rich, delicious and savory, perfect for an easy and simple meal for a chilly winter day. Beef stew during winters keeps you warm and helps keep your weight loss goals in check too. Open the lid of the Crockpot to a warm welcoming, herby and savory broth brimming with tender beef and rustic winter vegetables.
If you are looking to serve a side dish, make sure it is some fruit salad or vegetables to keep the weight watchers points down.
Tips to getting a great meat
If you are friendly with a great butcher, then half the battle is won. You can ask him to chop the stew meat, which are usually the end pieces of the sirloin. This is the leaner cut of the meat, but stays tender when put in stew. The next best option is to use any leftover meat you have had as it is ideal for a Crockpot recipe. If you decide to use this meat, then you may have to measure and recalculate the points for the weight watchers. There wouldn’t be a big difference, but it is good to be on the safer side.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 330 minutes
– 2 to 3 lbs chuck roast, trim any excess fat if any
– Initially cut all the potatoes and the onions into large sized chunks of at least 2 inches each. Make sure these large chunks don’t get mashed in the Crockpot. Vegetables cut into large chunks taste better
– Add the roast to the Crockpot, then add the onions, potatoes and carrots( if used)
– Add the seasonings over the top
– Add the beef stock next. The roast should be covered in liquid so add water sufficiently until it is covered
– Depending on the Crockpot, the cooking time will also differ. How fast the ingredients will cook also depends on the Crockpot. The total time to cook will depend on how hot the Crockpot is set
– To check if the meat is cooked or not, just insert a fork and if it falls apart, then you can be assured that the meat is cooked well
– Once this is done, remove the roast, potato, onions and carrots from the Crockpot and enjoy your meal
– The extra juice can be used over the roast or use it to make a gravy by putting it the stove and bringing it to boil while mixing in the flour to the desired texture
This healthy beef stew recipe is an obvious choice for weight watchers because of its taste and flavor, which makes it a best choice dish for any dinner. The weight watchers stew is healthy, easy to make, smells absolutely delicious while cooking and appeals equally to both the meat and potato lovers in the house. The weight watchers slow cooker beef stew can be served garnished with fresh chopped parsley leaves if you like so, although this is optional. Whole grain bakery bread is an ideal and delicious side that goes with the beef stew.